Saturday 4 August 2012

A New Beginning

Courtesy: Google Images

It's been a couple of weeks since I celebrated my birthday. I decided to start blogging. This is in sync with the new phase of my life. I recently got married and what best than to share the travails of being a newly married wife. Coming back to my birthday, A ( my hubby) was under a ot of pressure to do something special for me. After all it was my first birthday after marriage. Beginning June I was pestering him everyday to come up with something unique. " It's a one time occasion," I said. " It will come again next year" he replied, unaffected. Being stubborn, I persisted. I even asked a well meaning friend to give him a call and ask for his plans. I thought he was keeping it a surprise. I was shocked when he answered " The first birthday should be a low key affair so that it doesn't set any precedent for future  celebration."
       Disappointed. That was an understatement. How could A act so casual?I started a sermon on how it was his duty to be a good husband. I wasn't his girlfriend any more. The cake and flowers wouldn't be enough this year. A was quiet and said he would see about that. Ironically, the week before my birthday, A had a release coming up at office and was extremely busy. Taking my wifely duties seriously, I didn't nag him. A nagging girlfriend is supposedly cute, but when it comes to a nagging wife, it is a strict no-no. I was left with no choice but to wait for a miracle. On the day before the D-day, A came back early from office. He bought a bouquet of flowers and a chocolate cake. Ok, so nothing surprising or special. At ten, we sat down to watch a movie. We were trying to stay awake till midnight, cut the cake and sleep. The cake lay in fridge while I lazed on the couch. I was struggling to stay awake. I usually sleep by ten. Just the cake didn't seem to justify my staying awake, but I didnt want to hurt A. Finally it was ten minutes to twelve. A suddenly got up and instead of going towards the fridge, he asked me to stand up. Feeling drowsy and lazy, I refused to budge from the couch. He dragged me up and led me towards one of the bedrooms.
    Let me digress a little. We had a three bedroom place, but two of the bedrooms remain unused. We even kept them locked, to save ourselves the effort of cleaning them everyday. The place was taken to accommodate both sets of parents, if by negligible chance decide to visit us together.
So A led me to one of the unused bedrooms. He pushed the door open. I was still confused. Why can't we cut the cake in the living room? Surprise!! A said. The room had a newly made bed complete with mattress ,quilt and matching cushions. I had seen that at a furniture store some time ago. We didn't really need a bed so we let it go. It was exactly as I pictured, if it were in our house. The whole room was filled with balloons. On one wall was written " Happy Birthday R." I was pleasantly surprised.More than that. Totally unexpected. So, A did plan a surprise for me. The best part being he managed to keep it a surprise. He set a very high precedent and I can't wait for my next birthday.
   You might wonder what had I done for A's birthday. Well, his birthday was just a week after the wedding. We were on our honeymoon. It was a new place and I didn't even know where to get a cake. So, needless to say, I did nothing.
  Anyways I am loving being a wife and this is the best journey ever.

2 comments:

  1. Waw that's such a sweet surprise..Happy Birthday to you R.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ya really sweet of him!! Thanks for your wishes.

      Delete