Monday 13 August 2012

Everyone must marry!!

Courtesy: Google Images

Yet another friend of mine got hitched. The divide now is almost fifty-fifty. Nearly half of my college friends are married, and the other half is slowly coming onto our side. The conversations haven't changed much. I talk about the same things to both the married and the unmarried girls. There is a difference of just one question though. I end up asking the unmarried ones, "So, when is your turn? You might be the next one in line." And to the married ones I politely ask, "How is the husband doing?" This has become a routine of sorts.
         I was having one of the usual conversation with a very dear friend S. After the gossip was exchanged, I asked ,"Why don't you get married?" "And do what?"Not really the reply that I had expected. I mean, she could have said "Let's see" or" I will keep you updated if there is something." To say the least, I was taken aback. When I further inquired, she replied, "i don't want to give up everything I have and move to a new place with a new person." What she said made sense. Two of my friends resigned their perfect jobs to follow husbands who were chasing their own dreams. One moved a continent apart, while the other moved a state away. Even I felt bitter that girls are expected to sacrifice. I often feel blessed that A doesn't expect stuff like that from me.
         Ok, I am digressing from what I wanted to say. I told S, "You are not aware of the advantages that marriage brings along. You are seeing just one side of the coin. Not everyone has to sacrifice a career."
"Oh okay, so do enlighten me," she said cynically.
I began enumerating the benefits.

  • You can go to a late night movie, without your parents asking you what time will you be back.
  • You have someone who buys you a sexy dress and says that you look great, even  though your love handles are bulging.
  • You can go to exotic foreign places for honeymoon and holidaying  thereafter.
  • You don't have to carry your bags wile travelling.
  • You can have hour long conversations on the phone and no one throws you dirty looks.
  • You have a chauffeur at your beck and call.
  • You can have wild sex and not worry about the condom ripping.
  • Your parents will themselves encourage to go out more often.
 I was about to give her more reasons. But she stopped me midway. "Yeah, but you have to do all that with the same guy".
"Yeah, that's true" I added wistfully. Maybe, to be single is more fun. Nonetheless marriage life currently is more fun. Notwithstanding S's argument against it.
To have the last word, I said, "You will know when you marry, even if it is just one person."


2 comments:

  1. Ha Ha I liked that list and can't agree more :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!! Got to know the benefits only after the marriage. You have a great blog!!

      Delete