Saturday 27 October 2012

I need help!!

     After nearly six months of managing on our own, A and I decided that we need help. Domestic help to be precise. We had to hire a cook and a maid. Lots of experienced people advised us not to hire a single person who does the whole cooking and cleaning. If she doesn't turn up, you are doomed. It is best to distribute work among people. that way you don't run into a major risk even if one of them doesn't turn up. A said, let's start with one person at a time. We will hire a cook and see if we can manage her, then we will think about others. 'Manage a cook' is going to be cakewalk. My poor husband didn't know that or thought otherwise. Anyways, after I gave my assent, we told the watchman to send a few people who were interested in cooking for us.The watchman finally gave a look of  "Oh finally, you have come to your senses".
Since the time we have moved in, he has been continuously asking if we need domestic help and we have been refusing all along.
     I told A that I am going to interview prospective cooks. I will lay my terms and conditions to her. I just prayed that I shouldn't inherit my mother's luck. She couldn't manage to keep a single maid for more than two months. Finally, the day arrived and our first interviewee was a woman aged in her mid-twenties. Before I could begin, A asked her "Can you make north Indian food?" She gave him a big smile and said, "Yes bhaiya, I am from Bihar. We settled in Karnataka and have been living here since 10 years." Not to be left behind, I asked, "Can you cook south Indian food?" "Yes bhabhi,"she said giving a wide smile. " I will come at six in the morning and go at seven. I work in a school, so I need to leave by seven. On Sundays and other public holidays, I will come at eight. I will not cook for any visitors. It is 1000 per head. So since you are two people, I will charge 2000." Okay A said enthusiastically. I raised my eyebrows and looked at him. "What?" he said irritated at the interruption. "We need to negotiate," I mouthed. He ignored and said, "You can start coming  in from tomorrow." "Ok bhaiya, and one more thing, by the time I come everything must be kept ready. If you want rajma, then boil it and keep so that I can start cooking immediately."
      I was dazed. Did I hire the maid or did she hire me? A looked at my distraught face and said, "We are lucky, it is difficult to find north Indian cooks in Bangalore." I meekly agreed. "Why don't we interview a few others?" "Why? I finalised her and she said she would come form tomorrow." Fingers crossed!!
      She started coming from the next day. Exactly at 6. So it meant that I would get up half an hour before her and make sure everything was in order for Her Highness. Sometimes I would ask A to get up. He was the one who had hired her in the first place. So, we are cruising along with her since the past three months. Everyday springs up a new surprise. Yesterday she made lauki-panneer sabji. Authentic North Indian food indeed!!

2 comments:

  1. I think you should hold on to her since she can cook both north and South Indian food and she is reliable and punctual.I feel the price is reasonable too, some of my relatives are paying 5000 for the cook in Bangalore,I know its a pain to wake up early, can't you do the preparation the previous night? Eating home food is healthy and economical too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I know it's economical and she is quite punctual. Even if I do everything at night I still have to get up every day dot at six. I guess the advantages are more and I should live with it. Can't afford to let her go.

      Delete